The editing process of Kelsey Tramp’s audio profile was a difficult experience to say the least. When I began, I ran into several immediate problems. After converting the file from an mp4 to a WAV file, the Audacity program still refused to open the audio. It said I did not have enough storage, even though my hard drive was clear, so instead I had to open a separate Audacity window and work with two different pages.
This was only the first step. Once in Audacity I was excited to begin editing the file and clean it up a bit. I planned on removing my voice that asked the interview questions, long pauses, and anticipated mess-ups such as slurs or “um’s”. While I wanted Kelsey to sound real and natural, I also wanted it to be a professional and clean edit.
However, it became a lot more complex than just adding necessary pauses and deleting unwanted audio. When I deleted the interview questions that I had asked, it was still a lot longer than two minutes. This meant I had to pick and choose what I wanted to include and what could be left out of the profile. With that said, the audio didn’t make sense without hearing the interview questions. I had to completely restructure the audio which was a very time consuming and difficult process.
One of the biggest things I learned from this experience was to be patient. It is very easy to get frustrated with a program like Audacity where you are constantly re-doing and un-doing edits to your piece. Even though it might seem like a disaster during the editing process, the biggest thing I learned is to take it one step at a time. Most importantly, work in order from the beginning of the audio to the end.
I also learned from my experience that the most efficient way to approach this type of project is to give yourself a lot of time. I know for myself I thought editing the sound file was simply deleting undesired audio, but it is actually a lot more difficult. It is important to plan for a good amount of time for editing.
From this project I most certainly enjoyed being in control of the final outcome of my audio file. I was able to make it sound exactly how I had envisioned it even if the unedited audio was very chaotic.
I also enjoyed being able to copy and paste sections of my audio from the original track to a new one. This makes it easier than simply deleting audio from the original file. This makes it visually more organized.
Time was the biggest factor that surprised me during this project. I most definitely underestimated the time it would take to edit the audio simply because I only thought it involved deleting pieces you did not need or want. Rather, you had to fade each piece in to the others so that the audio didn’t sound choppy, alter the pitch to a certain level so the sound did not ever get too loud or too quiet, and delete the right amount of audio so you still had natural pauses but none that were too long.
I was also surprised to see how different the audio file could sound just based on a few alterations. It was almost as if I did not recognize Kelsey’s profile from the raw unedited version.
The only thing I wish I could have done differently was adding ambient noise to the background. I originally was hoping to add the sound of running horses for ambient noise to add emphasis to her profile but the sound did not fit the entirety of the audio. This sound was also too loud and overpowering to Kelsey’s voice which is the main focus of the profile.
I would like to work more with ambient noise to understand which sounds would be appropriate to different pieces, and how those can be used without becoming a distraction.
After completing this project I can definitely say I wish working with audio files was a lot smoother. With all the different audio file types and the different converters, it makes audio edits extremely difficult.